Tuesday, February 7, 2012

TOTALLY TUBULAR


Just before Christmas when I was madly knitting gifts I knitted this little thing up.  The pattern will follow below:


I made the cowl out of this yarn:




Even though this yarn is considered a fine gauge and is sock weight, I chose to knit it up on a larger needle than would normally be used.  By using a larger needle it produced a very drapey fabric.  The fibre content is : 70% Merino Wool/20%Nylon/10%Cashmere.  It really is a beautiful yarn.  It has such a soft "hand", it isn't scratchy at all.  I find that when I knit Cowls, that I try to chose a yarn that won't feel scratchy since it will be worn around the neck.

This yarn is great because the yarn does all of the colour work for you.

It is what is called a "self striping" yarn.  Or in this case a self colour work yarn! It is great because all you have to do it straight knitting and you end up with a piece that looks as if you used 5 or 6 colours.  This is a great yarn for those who are beginner knitters but want the look of a colourwork piece.  I chose this yarn because I loved the colours used and the feel of it was so soft.  In fact, I enjoyed working with it so much I made 2 other cowls with the same pattern but with the other colourways available.  The two colourways I used were:




And this on in this colourway:





No that's not me being strangled by a Cowl.  I was hiding since the hair wasn't looking that great that day but I had to get pics before this was given as a gift. 




It also comes in this colourway as well:




Isn't the above colourway so fiery- Love it!  Maybe another Cowl may be in the works.

Pattern is as follows:  Size 4mm/US 6 circular needle 16" long
Cast on 124 sts.  Join in the round.  (I actually cast on 125, and end up losing a stitch when I join- just depends on how you cast on and join in the round- the important thing is to have 124sts.)
Rows 1:  K2, P2 for the round.
Repeat 4 more times for a total of 5 rows of  2x2 ribbing.
Knit all subsequent rows until piece when measured from beginning is 9"
Repeat Row 1: K2,P2
Repeat Row 1-   3 more times for a total of 4 rows.
Bind of in pattern.
Weave in ends.

When I say knit the rounds so that it measures 9"- I am giving an approximation.  Just make sure you have enough to do the ribbing and casting off.
That's it!

Have a great day everyone!
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment