Tuesday, April 3, 2012

FAVOURITE LITTLE THINGS

Hey everyone!  What makes you, you??  Well we are all different-thank goodness for that.  The same can be said for homes-notice I said home and not house?  Everything in your home is a reflection of you- your personality, your humour-essentially your life.  It tells a story to not only those that come to your home but it speaks to you as well.

So I wanted to share just a few little things from my home that reflect me.  If  I was to share those little things that reflect my boys you would be seeing a whole lot of LEGO!!  Tons and Tons of it.  My little things tend to be more porcelain like!








The first little thing I want to share with you is this little Wedgwood Heart Dish.  I love it!  I love all things Wedgwood.  I think what I especially love about this particular piece is the deep blue colour.  To me it is the perfect Navy Blue.  And anything blue and white is OK in my books.  I can't remember a time when I haven't loved Wedgwood.  There is something so delicate about the filigree that is always ever present on these pieces.  I love that they still place them by hand.  Something can be said for handmade things.  If I am remembering correctly I acquired this little lovely from my Sister-in-Law.  She was giving away a couple of the Wedgwood pieces she had since she said it wasn't really her thing- "would I like it"?? Would I??  Of course-any chance I can get to have/buy Wedgwood is a good day!!  Thanks Jacquie!!









This little guy was a present from one of my dear cousins in England.  This little sparrow is by Royal Crown Derby.  I have a few Royal Crown Derby collectibles- not a lot, just a few.  But I have to say that this little sparrow is my favourite.  First of all he's sooo cute.  I love the colouring and the gold detail on him. I think he is just delightful!  So thanks Judith for one of my favourite things!  Whenever I look at him I always think of you.












Now, these 2 bowls bring me so much joy!  I just love polka dots.  There is something so happy and joyous about polka dots-maybe it's a childhood thing, I don't know?  But when I saw these 2 lovelies last year in HomeSense I knew they were screaming for me to buy them.  And little pleasures don't have to cost a fortune.  I think I paid under $8.00 for the both of them!!  I know!!  Sometimes one doesn't have to spend a fortune to put a smile on ones heart!!










These lovely little Corning Dishes were bought a couple of years ago.  I bought them of all places at Dollarama!!  I couldn't believe it either.  I was in there looking for paper supplies when I spotted them.  They are made by Corning so I thought-why not???  They cost me $1.00 for 2!!  So I have 8!!  I love the simplicity of them.  And of course I love that they are blue and white!  They reminded me of a Ralph Lauren pattern that was blue and white- for the life of me I can't remember the pattern-but lets just say that it was way more expensive than my $1.00 for 2 bowls!!












I picked up 4 of these lovelies just last week.  I found them at HomeSense.  The minute I saw them I had to get them.  I think they were $3.99/mug.  Not a bad price for something so lovely!!  I was drawn to the hand painted look of them.  As you may know- hand painted botanicals are really in right now.  One great example of these types of botanicals is Bluebellgray.  I love her stuff.  Her hand painted botanicals are amazing.  I would so love to get a hold of one of her pillows or some fabric someday- will have to save up for that one!  Here is one of my favourite pillows she has to offer:


Just look at that design-so amazing.  And that pompom trim!!  I know that when I get one it will be one of my favourite things!!









This conch shell has been with me for like eva'.  I honestly can't remember when I got it.  I think someone was getting rid of it when I was a teen.  So I took it-I mean-I can't imagine anyone getting rid of something like that- giving it away-OK.  But throwing it in the garbage???  I wish I had some other glamorous story like I went deep sea diving, but alas it was a "found" object.  Anyways, I have always loved it.  I have always displayed it in one way or another.  When we were lucky enough to acquire our piano a few years ago, it found a home!  The vases and the framed pictures are also some of my favourite things but I think I will save that for another post.









This Nautilus Shell has been around for about 15 years now!!   I bought it of all places off of Ebay!  I didn't spend a fortune either-can't remember how much but I know it wasn't a lot.  I think I have always had an affinity for the Ocean-even though I live 1000 miles away from one.  I have been lucky enough to put my toe in both the Atlantic(Plymouth,Mass.  Dartmouth, Nova Scotia) and the Pacific (Carmel, Ca).  But my dream is to have a little cottage overlooking the Atlantic in Nova Scotia.  Anyways,  I had for a long time displayed this lovely shell on a hallway table.  Well.... along came my second very PRECOCIOUS child and he knocked it over on purpose.  He really did- he looked right at me at the lovely age of 2, I told him not to touch it, he smiled and them proceeded to swipe right at it.  To say that I was unhappy would be an understatement.  I think I put him in his room so I could have a time out!!  Anyways..... the result is below.....

Even with the chip I still love my nautilus shell and now it comes with an added story to tell!!










The final "Little Things" I am sharing with you are these 3 objects: The blue and white Chinoisserie Lamp, The little wood bird and the Red Coral.
First off----- the Lamp.  I bought this lamp about 3 or 4 yrs ago at Pier 1 Imports.  I think I got it for about $30.00-it was on sale.  I loved the fact that it was blue and white-of course.  I especially loved the blue silk like fabric for the shade.  I also loved the shape.  The only issue I have with it is that the shade never wants to stay straight for very long- as is evidenced in the pics above.  But oh well!  Life isn't perfect either-even in a vignette!!
The next little thing is the bird.  I bought that little guy at Winners probably 8yrs ago and I still love him today.  I think I am drawn to his colouring-whited washed and watery blue.
The last thing is the Coral- let me just say it is made out of resin-NO real coral here!  I bought it in a bargain bin some years ago at Pottery Barn- I think I paid less than $3.00 for it. I thought it would go with the nautical theme I was trying to create.  I think I fell for the red colour that it is.

I guess you can tell that I have a thing for red, white and blue.  There is something so classic about that combo.  It is timeless I guess!  But it reflects me.  Or should I say it reflects us as a family.  Not too masculine and not too feminine.  I get my lttle girly things from MY little things-well a girl has to have something when she is surrounded by men!!

Have a great day everyone!
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment