Friday, April 19, 2013

KNIT RECIPE 1- PLYMOUTH YARN ENCORE

Hey Everyone...... For those of you out there that knit, there are times when you would love to make an item but it is way out of your snack bracket.  What is a person to do?  Well......sometimes you save and save in order to buy that special yarn.  Or if you are like me you shop around and look for alternatives.
As you may know I love to knit...REALLY LOVE TO KNIT.  I have been knitting for 38 years now.  Goodness that makes me sound so old!  There are some amazing patterns out there both for sale and for free.  One site that I love to look at is Purl Bee.  I love the simplicity of their designs.  However, quite often they are out of my snack bracket.  I cannot afford to spend $400.00 on yarn for a wrap or $1000.00 for yarn for a blanket.  Don't get me wrong.... I love the yarn that they offer....I just can't afford it.  However, I do love their patterns.
As I posted a little while ago......I knit up the Purl Bee Hudson's Bay Blanket for a girlfriend for her wedding as a gift.  See that post here.
I came across this blanket a little while ago that they posted:


Isn't this blanket lovely.  It is so yummy!!  I love the simplicity of it.  And the yarn that it is made of looks so amazing.  The name of the yarn is Manos Del Uruguay Maxima.  It has such a lovely varigation to the colouring in the yarn. The yarn is 100% Extra Fine Merino Wool.  It is 219yds/100g ball. It is a worsted weight yarn at 4.5sts/inch.   It is hand spun and hand dyed-thus the price.... $14.95/ball....which for a hand made ball isn't too expensive really.  It certainly would make an amazing gift or  make something really special for oneself.  I know I would LOVE to knit this lovely little blanket for myself.  However, at the moment it is slightly out of my range.  So what is a girl to do?  Well..... come up with a different recipe as it were.  If one was to buy the yarn as stated the blanket would cost $104.65.
Again, a little out of my league at the moment.  So after looking online this is what I came up with;


Note: I have substituted a Navy Yarn for the Brown one originally specified.  Yarn.Com did not have a Chocolate in the Plymouth Yarn Encore yarn.  One could use as I have stated above and substitute Navy or you could sub in 0520 Charcoal if a dark gray was desired.
The yarn I chose is Plymouth Yarn Encore and now until the end of May it is on sale for $4.19/ball  That is quite a savings my friends.  The total cost would be $29.33.  It is quite a nice yarn, especially for a blanket.  It is 75%Acrylic/25%Wool.  The ball is 200yds/100g.  So if the yarn at Purl Bee is a little out of your price range then give this one a go.  It can be purchased at yarn.com.  I have bought from them in the past and they have been great to deal with.  I have had no issues myself.  They even ship to Canada for a very reasonable rate.

So if you are looking for some mindless knitting for when you are in front of the tv or are knitting down by the dock...then this project will be just for you.  I really do love a mindless project now and then.  And doing Garter Stitch-knitting every stitch fits that bill just fine.

Have a great day everyone.
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment